HGV Driver – Class 2
Become a HGV Driver – Class 2
Role Purpose: Responsible for the delivery of goods to customers without compromising safety and to represent the company by delivering excellent customer service by increasing efficiency, order accuracy, accountability and pride in your vehicle.
Accountable to: Logistics Manager
Key Relationships: Logistics Manager, Operations Team, Customer Service and Customers
Our Vision – to be a successful business, growing our presence across the island of Ireland as a wholesaler and retail partner of choice.
Our Mission – we go above and beyond to support those who trust in us to keep their business thriving. We serve our customers better than anyone else due to our flexible way of working. Our customer focused approach allows us to react quickly, communicate effectively and deliver our products reliably, time after time.
About the role
- Work with the loading supervisor to load lorry to suit delivery schedule
- Check load sheet to ensure pallets of goods and cigarettes correspond to customer order.
- Check all loads are secure and all relevant paperwork is correct before departure.
- Ensure to count all cigarette orders and customer verifies and signs off
- Ensure to have all goods checked and signed for by the customer
- Plan route to ensure deliveries made on time
- Loading and unloading of full and empty cages
- Maintain targets and job standards set out by the logistics manager
- Communicate any issues that may arise with the logistics manager
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of vehicle, e.g. checking oil filters, water levels etc
- Responsible for the security of vehicle at all times
- Dealing with customers directly
- Any reasonable request from the logistics manager
- Maintain a safe working environment that complies with all aspects of the company’s H&S Policy
- To act as an ambassador for Savage & Whitten and behave in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
What you will need
- Grade C or above in GCSE Maths and English
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Physical and manual dexterity
- Able to demonstrate the application of continuous improvement techniques
- Results orientated
- Team Player
- Customer focused
- Perform well under pressure
- Organized and efficient
- Undertake training
- Clean HGV Class 2 licence
- A digital tachograph card and a Drivers full CPC card
- Experience operating and maintain a HGV Vehicle
- Good knowledge of the Northern Ireland road network
Professional skills you’ll need for this job opportunity
Planning & Scheduling
Exceptional Customer Service Skills
Planning and Organising
A Whole Lot More!
Based conveniently in Newry, S&W has a unique access point to key markets in NI and ROI. Their history dates back to 1916 with Newry Cash & Carry, before merging with J&E Whitten in 2000 to become Savage and Whitten (S&W) as they are known today. Today, S&W is a top 100 NI business and one of the largest independent wholesalers on the island of Ireland, servicing over 2,000 customers. The growth of their business is down to the ability to service both independent and symbol retailers, as well as the growth of the symbol brands it owns and operates.
Going above and beyond for customers is the key factor in what has made S&W successful and a key part of how the business plans to offer 'A Whole Lot More' going forward as it introduces a new look and feel for the business. Summing up the refreshed brand direction. Managing Director, Michael Skelton: "For us, A Whole Lot More is what we promise our customers. It's what we offer and the service that underpins that - we believe it's important to offer the product but just as important is the service, so our customers can easily order what they need and know they'll get it from us when they need it."
Everyone at S&W is encouraged to bring their best selves to work, and given the resources and opportunity to realise their own personal success. We offer our employees #awholelotmoresupport, to ensure you develop and grow with us.
Vacation/Paid Time Off
Paid Sick Days
Retirement Plan and/or Pension
Gym Membership or Wellness Programs
HGV Driver – Class 2
A Whole Lot More!